This next post is still inspired by one of my Mother's dishes. These days, I miss having her dishes, apart from missing her everyday; maybe because I am staying for more than a week now at our family home here in the Metro, away from my husband. I also miss my husband. =( It will be two more nights until I see my super guwapong asawa! haha (direct translation: super handsome husband! heehee) This is just one of the sacrifices we have to make for my temporary "fragile" health condition.
Anyway, back to my Mother's cooking. My dear Mother used to make three kinds of dishes with Ox tongue. One is made with a buttery-wine sauce: the brown sauce; one with a creamy white sauce with mushrooms, peas and other vegetables; and one with a red sauce. I decided to recreate the latter. I was able to make this once for one Sunday lunch for the family when I was younger. I remember my mother had to do some errands with my father that day that she just instructed me what to do with it after she prepared the Ox tongue meat so that when they get home, the dish was already prepared.
Join me as I take the step by step route in recreating that same dish: LENGUA CON SALSA (Ox tongue in Red Sauce).
Ingredients: (good for 6-8 servings)
1 Ox tongue (about 1-1.5 kg)
500 g of Spaghetti Sauce
1 green bell pepper; julienned
1 red bell pepper; julienned
1 large potato, julienned
1 medium carrot, julienned
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 red onion, minced
3 pcs bay leaves (laurel leaves)
3 tbsp of vegetable oil
1 tbsp of soy sauce
salt, pepper and sugar to taste
1) Rub the Ox tongue with some rock salt and vinegar.
2) Wash it thoroughly with water and transfer to a pressure cooker with 3 cups of water and 3 tbsp of vinegar. Pressure cook for 45 minutes or until tongue is tender and can be easily pricked with a fork.
3) Once tongue is tender, white coating and excess skin should be easily scraped off. Also cut off the fatty layers at the tongue's base.
4) Keep the Ox tongue stock.
5) Let the tongue cool before slicing diagonally then into strips.
6) In a sauteing pan, heat about 3 tbsp of vegetable oil and saute garlic and onions until fragrant.
7) Next, saute the Ox tongue strips, then the carrots and potatoes.
8) Add about 2 cups of the Ox tongue stock and 3 bay leaves and cover pan with lid. Let the potatoes cook for a couple of minutes.
9) Once potatoes are tender, stir in the bell peppers and the spaghetti sauce. Season with some soy sauce, about 1 tbsp and some salt and pepper and a bit of sugar if still desired. But since we used a "Filipino" style of Spaghetti Sauce, the sauce is already a bit sweet. Simmer for a couple more of minutes before serving.
10) TA-da!!! Enjoy with some hot rice! =)
To fully enjoy this dish, make sure tongue is tender to the bite. I opted for the red sauce first since we just had a creamy dish prior to this: my Mother's creamy bouillabaisse. And I have to admit I am in love with anything that has Filipino Style Spaghetti Sauce on them as base as this has just the right blend of flavors with a hint of sweet.
Hey, I just remember too that Mother's day is fast approaching; maybe you can make a dish your Mother loves too. I miss my Mother, every single day. So to all those with still their dear Mommies around, make sure you shower them with lots of love and hugs they truly deserve. Pamper them while you can. =)
Happy Eating! =)